Clove & Cardamom Scented Matar Pilaf Wholegrain Rice
I’m not a huge fan of rice, especially white rice. A few years ago I made the switch from white rice to wholegrain rice and I much prefer it. Its light, rich in fibre, has a lovely bite and slightly nutty taste. This is one rice recipe which I love. When I have people over for Indian food, I love to serve this rice rather than plain rice as it feels so much more special and the scent from the cloves and cardamoms is just gorgeous. The sweet pops from the peas is a lovely addition. My favourite way to serve this rice is with my simple Panjabi daal recipe. Give it a go people, it’s just wonderful!
- • 1 tsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- • 2 tsp cumin seeds
- • 1 inch cinnamon stick, broken up into small pieces
- • 4 cloves
- • 6 cardamom pods
- • 1 cup frozen peas (matar) (I prefer to use petit pois)
- • Pinch of turmeric
- • ¼ tsp salt
- • 1.5 cups wholegrain rice, washed
- • 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a wide saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks and cloves. Before adding the cardamom pods, gently crush them using your thumb or the back of a spoon. This will split the pods, enabling them to release their beautiful scent as they cook away.
- Give the spices 3-4minutes on a gentle heat to scent the oil.
- Follow with the peas, salt and turmeric. Cover for 3-4minutes.
- Add the rice and water. Cover for 15minutes and let the rice cook on a low to medium heat.
- 15 minutes in, give the rice a little stir and pop the lid back on for another 5-7minutes or just until the rice has absorbed the remaining liquid and cooked through. Enjoy!