Crispy Chilli Tofu
Crispy tofu, crunchy peppers, sweet onions and a spicy tangy marinade…what’s not to love about this dish! It’s got all the notes of a good Asian dish, with a twist of Indian. So how did this dish come about? Well my dear sister-in-law asked me to create a recipe for the much loved Indian dish of chilli paneer, but made with a healthier, and of course vegan sub. Well it had to be tofu! It’s got the right texture, its robust enough to take a good tossing without breaking down, and it’s low fat/high protein – so much more to offer in this dish than its predecessor paneer (Indian cottage cheese).
On a beautiful summer’s day, I like to finish the dish off on the barbeque. Crispy charred bits of tofu, sticky marinade, juicy vegetables – bring on the summer baby! When outdoor cooking is out of the question (such as today) however, I finish off the dish in the oven. It works equally well in terms of reducing the marinade to a gorgeous sticky consistency whilst also helping to crispen up that tofu! Yum Yum YUM!
- For the crispy tofu
- • 1 pack extra firm tofu (approx. 280g), excess water drained, cubed
- • ½ cup corn flour
- • ½ tsp salt
- • ½ tsp cayenne chilli pepper
- • 1tbsp veg or sunflower
- • 1 thumb size piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- • 4 green chilies, roughly chopped
- • 5 garlic cloves
- • Large bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- • 1 cup tomato ketchup
- • ½ cup light soy sauce
- • 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- • 2 peppers, medium slice, length ways
- • 2 onions, medium slice, length ways
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornflour, salt and cayenne chilli pepper and mix. Dredge the tofu in the flour and set aside.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Drop the dredged tofu pieces in the oil, making sure you shake off any excess flour before adding to the pan. Stir fry until the tofu is crispy and golden on both sides (takes 7-10mins on a medium heat). Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients under marinade and blitz until all the ingredients have broken down and you have a smooth marinade.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable or sunflower oil on a medium-high heat.
- Add the peppers and onions and stir fry for 3-4mins.
- Add the crispy tofu and marinade and stir fry for a further two mins.
- Now remove from heat and finish off in the oven or on the barbeque until the marinade has reduced to a sticky consistency and the tofu is starting to char on the corners.