Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese with Soya Mince
This truly is a quick and easy recipe and I know you’re going to love it. My hard-core carnivore best mate says its without doubt the best spag bol she’s ever had… so come on… give it a go!
Before turning vegan I used to use quorn mince for this recipe, but soya mince works even better in my opinion. It absorbs the sauce wonderfully and the great thing is it’s so easily available. I even use it to make my vegan kebabs and Vam-burgers! Recipes to follow soon.
The sauce is really quite simple, and as with all my recipes… you know it….it’s got a little quick. But really and truly this is one of those dishes you can whip up fairly quickly. Served with a nice salad, perhaps some olive ciabatta… c’mon.. you can do it! Let know if you give it a go!
- • 2 cups soya mince, rinsed and drained
- • 3 cups water
- • 1tbsp olive oil
- • 2 peppers, one red and one yellow, small dice
- • 2 red onions, small dice
- • 4 cloves garlic, minced
- • 1 tbsp red chilli flakes
- • 1. tbsp salt
- • 5 tins chopped tomatoes 400g each
- • 2 tbs hot sauce (I use Dunns River)
- • 4 tbsp tomato puree paste
- Bring water to boil. Salt the water generously (don’t worry most of it will be drained out).
- Add the soya mince and cook for approx. 15mins or until the mince has absorbed most of the water and doubled in size. The texture should be slightly al-dente.
- Drain, rinse with cold water.
- Whilst the mince is cooking, you can get on with your sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add peppers, onions, garlic and red chilli flakes and cook these on a low to medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the onions and peppers have softened and are starting to take on some colour.
- In a blender, puree the tinned tomatoes and then add this to the saucepan, along with the salt, tomato puree and hot sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 15-20mins or until it has turned a rich orangy-red colour and any excess water has evaporated.
- Add the soya mince and there you have it. Mix with the spaghetti of your choice (I prefer to use wholegrain)!